This program, Nephrology nursing involves both preventing disease and assessing the health needs of patients and families. Nurses who deal with every organ system in the body, calling for a holistic approach to patient care that is both challenging and rewarding. Nephrology nurses are required to have a common knowledge base relevant to all aspects of care for adult and paediatrics kidney patients and their families.
The knowledge base includes but is not limited to:
- Anatomy, physiology, and pathophysiology
- The nursing process as applied to nephrology nursing
- Knowledge of the diagnosis and treatment for patients requiring any method of renal replacement therapy
- Pharmacology and pharmacotherapy
- Growth and development
- Teaching/learning theory
- Counseling/interviewing skills
- Interdisciplinary team skills
- Research processes
- Rehabilitation principles
- Palliative care and concepts related to death and dying
Nephrology nursing requires a common knowledge base to care for paediatrics, adult, and geriatric patients with kidney disease. Nurses who obtained the above certificate will be qualified to function at the following settings
- Any haemodialysis centres/ hospitals
- Peritoneal dialysis nurse in all hospital setting
- Vascular access coordinator
- Nurse manager in Nephrology unit
- Transplant coordinator
- Organ recovery coordinator
- Nurse practitioner in Nephrology unit ( Ms degree)
- Clinical nurse specialist in nephrology ( Ms degree)
- Nurse researcher in Nephrology Nursing
- Quality management in Nephrology nursing
- Nurse educator in nephrology nursing
Name : Jamizan Jeemaun
Email : email@example.com
Code –R/723/6/00859 (03/2023) (MQA/FA3870)
- Duration –Full Time (6 Months / 2 Semesters / 26 Weeks)
- Fees – RM7,303
- Mode : Full Time
- Campus : KPJUC Nilai
- Intake – January and September
Pass Diploma in Nursing and
- Registered with Nursing Board Malaysia (NBM)
- Possess current Annual Practicing Certificate (APC) for nurses
- Minimum at least 1 year experience working in any discipline
- Posses three(3) months experience in Hemodialysis Unit
This module of 3 credit hour will provide students in depth of knowledge in physiology of renal and disorder. Students will be exposed to physiology of urinary system including process of micturition. , This module also explores the physiology of infection and other causes related kidney disorder. For urinary system: the kidney will be the emphasis on maintaining the homeostasis, regulation of fluid electrolyte and acid base related to kidney disorder.
This module of 2 credit hours is focusing on the specific knowledge in renal nursing.
This module emphasizes on the alteration of urinary tract in relation to all kidney condition and the treatment. In conjunction of that, the specific and general investigations in relation of renal condition and special procedure will also be learnt by the student. Besides, this module also justifies various condition of glomerular disease inclusive the treatment especially the specific care of patient with glomerular disease. The medical emergency in nephrology and specific intervention will be spelled as part of the study exposure.
This module of 3 credit hours will acquire students learning in depth of specific topic which is Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) and Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) inclusive the treatment and specific care for adult and peadiatric patient. Students be able to specify the treatment option for CKD patient: Renal Transplant, Peritoneal Dialysis and Haemodialysis. This module focuses on treatment and nursing care of Renal Transplant and Peritoneal Dialysis including the Immunosuppression drug and specific diet for CKD.
This clinical exposure is designed to equip the students with the knowledge, skills and attitude to provide nursing care for patient with altered kidney functions. Students are made to understand their role and responsibilities and care provided during an emergency. The clinical exposure will provide students actively involved in a team work, communication skill with all staff and client, critical thinking during solve the problem, decision making during ward round or discussion. The clinical areas selected; CAPD unit, Urololog, and Nephrology ward. Students will be attached at HKL for 2 weeks and KPJ Hospital for the 3 weeks.
This module of 4 credit hour students will expose students in depth with the knowledge of Renal Replacement therapy (RRT) hemodialysis and Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy (CRRT).
In this module, the hemodialysis development and principle treatment will be the main focus.
- Specific assessment before and after hemodialysis
- Specific nursing care for patient pre and post hemodialysis.
This module also give opportunities to students handling the CRRT machine for patients who are not tolerating with hemodialysis.
This module of 3 credit hour expose students on the psychological and counseling needs of ESRF patients and the provision of options on quality of life for the end of life phase for patient with ESRF. Students should be able to apply the main concept of psychology and counselling relating the theories and counselling skill for ESRF
This clinical exposure is designed to equip the students will knowledge, skills and attitude to provide nursing care for patient with altered kidney functions. Students will be able to understand their role and responsibilities and care provided during an emergency. This clinical encourages students: actively participate as a team work, communication skill with all staff and client, critical thinking during solve the problem, decision making during ward round or discussion. The clinical area only at specific area: Haemodialysis Unit for the 5 weeks.